6.12.2016

Sunday rambles and notes. The wrapping up of a project. Eating Voodoo Donuts. Shooting with old glass. Dutifully wearing sunscreen at swim practice. Going for a walk.

The ongoing adventures of "Modern Camera Meets Archeological Lens Find." 

With the long, involved video project coming to an end (soon?) I've been able to get back into a regular rhythm with my swim practices. Four tough days in a row. This morning we had one time world recorder holder in the 200 freestyle, Ricky Berens, on deck as our masters coach. We warmed up with a 700 mixed yards, segued into 15 x100's in sets that went: 100 yards kick, 100 yards individual medley, and one hundred yards freestyle; repeat five times. Each 100 of freestyle was supposed to be a descend; which means each one gets faster as you go through the rounds. These were followed by two sets 1200 yard in each. That set pattern was: 300 yards, 3 x100 yards, 200 yards, 4x50 yards, 100 yards, 4 x 25 sprints. 

It was a tough 4,600 yards piled on top of yesterday's 5,000+ under the disciplined gaze of coach, Chris Kemp. And Thursday and Friday were so long ago I can remember the details, only the sore muscles over most of my body.... And that's what we do for fun around here.

After workout and breakfast today I grabbed the newish (to me) Sony A7ii along with the 60mm f1.5 Olympus FT lens, and headed downtown for a walk. This is practically our first really uncomfortably warm day of 2016. It's a bit amazing since it is already the middle of June. It's the combination of heat and the humidity from weeks of torrential rains that makes it some unpleasant. The hike and bike trails around the downtown lake are still flooded and the dam is still releasing flood waters through three gates. Thank goodness the camera and lens are so small and light (comparatively speaking); they were comfortable to tote around during my walk. My Sunday route is about four miles and takes a bit more than an hour to complete. It's a good cross train to the swimming and I can feel the swim muscles relax as I go along.

On my walk I decided to go in and give the world famous, Portland Oregon founded donut shop, Voodoo Donuts, a try. I ordered three donuts to go but after eating the "Voodoo Doll" which is a yeast donut with chocolate covering, filled with raspberry jam and decorated in a voodoo style I couldn't even think of eating the other two so when a person on the street asked if I could help out with some food I handed him the bag.... The donut I had was really great but from now on, I'm only ordering one per visit.

I'm spending a lot of time shooting this particular lens and camera combination set to black and white. Don't know why, exactly, but it feels right to me...

I saw this logo on the back of a truck and thought it would make a nice insignia for 
the Kirk Tuck Photography jumpsuits we should be wearing to all our location assignments. 
A bit of branding never hurt...I guess. 


Sorry about the architectural shot. Old habits die hard. But while we are here....
Check out the very small amount of vignetting in the corners of this lens 
that was designed for the half frame format. 

I don't know anything about their pizza but I like the name. A lot. 

Now getting ready for the week ahead. Final approvals on the video, here we go.



8 comments:

MikeR said...

No need to apologize for architectural shots. Shoot what you want. I'll keep on reading/following.

Stephen S. Mack said...

The logo on the back of the truck is a little bit Art Deco-ish, but then in some ways I've always thought of you as an Art Deco person. Can't tell you why, but there it is.

Hope you aren't offended.

With best regards,

Stephen

Anonymous said...

Kirk

Like the B&H shots, BTW, especially the first one! Nice Bokeh! Don't know how you do that workout routine, I would have drowned and sunk to the bottom of the pool about lap two! Your an ironman! Good for you! I don't mind the architectural shots at all, but do enjoy a portrait to better judge a lens, maybe the donut person would agree?
Doug

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Doug, it just takes practice. Five or six hours a week should work...

Anonymous said...

For about 5 or 6 years! I should have started in my twenties and never stopped. Would have been a lot easier on my knees than running! Next life time for sure! I'll make a note.
Doug

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! Including the architecture one...
You mentioned getting fewer comments recently, and I'm still checking in on the blog, but ended up commenting less as you'd spent more time talking cameras and less about the photos themselves (I don't comment on the video stuff as I know zilch about it)
Anyway, nice work!
Mark

Gato said...

I guess after a workout like that you're allowed one donut. Even one like you describe.

I come here mostly for the portraits and the posts about the business. I'm about 99% retired from professional photography, but I enjoy the business as a sort of 'spectator sport'. I don't mind the architecture at all -- it's not exactly my thing, but you somehow make it interesting.

Your Sony saga is most interesting. I don't follow gear near as much as I used to, but I am a big fan of mirrorless (Panasonic user since the G1 in 2009) and I think Sony has the best handle on the future of photography -- if they can keep it going and not somehow blow it.

While I often just skim the gear posts, you did convince me to go ahead and spring for an FZ1000 after wavering for months. Best camera buy I've made in years. Even your switch to the competition caused only the briefest moment of doubt.

Keep up the good work.

texascbx said...

Sunscreen. Never used it. Maybe twice in my sixty years. 1.5 years ago at the dermatologist, removed a mole on my arm. Melanoma. Now I wear sunscreen and wear long sleeve shirts all the time.