3.18.2016

Black and White in the West Austin Studio. Just for fun.


©2003 Kirk Tuck.


I had just finished a long day and evening photographing food for a restaurant in the downtown area. I wheeled my gear out the back door of the restaurant and packed my car. I went back in to say, "goodbye." The restaurant was in a U shaped building that was filled with restaurants and bars; the central courtyard area was a popular venue for local bands. I went down to see who was playing and saw "Anna" in the crowd in front of the stage. 

During a break in the music I approached "Anna" and her boyfriend and introduced myself. I gave them my card and told them I would like to photograph "Anna" some time. Why? Just because I thought she was beautiful.

A week or two later I heard from them and we arranged a session in my studio. I was shooting with a Rolleiflex SL 6008i at the time. That, and a 150mm Schneider lens. It was a quick shoot. Five or six 12 exposure rolls of black and white film and a few rolls of color negative. We all shook hands and, they left. A brief and singular intersection that led to some good prints for me. 

I was so fearless then. Has the world changed or is it me?

Below are a selection of online classes from Craftsy.com. Click the links to go and check them out.
Thanks!




One of the original Craftsy Photo Classes and 
still one of the best! 

I met Lance a couple of weeks ago in Denver
and found him to be really fun and knowledgeable 
this class reflects what he teaches in hands-on
workshops in Ireland and Iceland, as well as 
cool places around the U.S.

How to make what we shoot into a cohesive
train of visual thought.


1 comment:

Wolfgang Lonien said...

Wonderful. Those tones...