4.05.2015

I am sure you already know this if you shoot Olympus but----Olympus Share is a good remote controller for the new EM-5.2 in "Hi-Res" mode.


Taken in 2012 with a Sony A77 camera.  On Sixth Street in Austin, Texas.
Not an example of Olympus's High Res Mode.

I think I mentioned using the Hi Res mode in the new Olympus EM-5.2 last Thursday during a commercial shoot in central Texas. The client and I were setting up small still life set composed of small industrial parts and then photographing them. I decided to try out the High Res (40 megapixel JPG) mode that is part of the new camera excitement. 

For those of you who've ignored the feature in this new camera it's an ingenuous variation on Hasselblad's method of mechanically moving the imaging sensor and resampling X number of times during a long exposure or a series of exposures. The Olympus method uses 8 separate scans which are then blended together. Because Olympus scans in half pixel segments it gets around the color artifacts of the Bayer pattern on the sensor and should deliver color that's more pure and also devoid of interference artifacts such as moire. The scans or exposures take place over time, require at least a full second and are ruined by any camera or subject movement. But if you get everything right you can get files that are at parity (or at least that's the internet's opinion) with files from a Nikon D810. 

Of course, much will depend on the quality of the lenses on the front of the camera and even more, your technique. Which I found out. To my temporary frustration. 

We were on the second floor of an older commercial building with the tripod set firmly on the linoleum covered floor, the substructure of which was probably 2x6 inch or 2x8 inch joists set on wide centers. As people walked across the floor of the room in which we were photographing the floor would flex just a bit. Enough to ruin a shot. 

We waited for everyone to settle down and then attempted our high res hijinks again but this time sharpness and file integrity were compromised by the initial movement caused by my finger on the shutter, starting the process. I couldn't figure out how to set a delay for the start of the high res process and I was about to give up when I remembered some VSL readers writing to tell me that one could use the Olympus Share software to remotely control the camera. 

I downloaded the free app from the Apple App Store and in a few minutes I was ready to initialize the wi-fi connections between my iPhone 4S (ancient tech) and the camera. The system does this by having the camera display a QR code which is read by the phone's camera. Once up and running I selected remote control from the menu on the phone app and then triggered the camera. I worked. It worked just the way everyone said it would. Okay. I'm coming around. I guess it's okay to put wi-fi on a camera just so long as you are only using it to trigger a high resolution mode on location. :-)

We tried a few more shots with high res and then moved on to making images with people in them. The phone went back into my pocket and the camera went back into human touch controlled camera mode and we got on with the shoot. 

When I got back to the studio I reviewed the shots and found them to be as described by the Olympus web hive. Very detailed and very big. This is a useful feature for people like me who mostly shoot the human/machine interface but are sometimes called upon to make big interior shots, exterior building shots and highly detailed images of still life images. 

Next on my list of things to try is the camera's automatic keystone correction tool but that will have to wait for a clear, bright, saturated day in order to get me excited about the tests. 

Yes. The High Res mode works well. It demands good technique and a stable platform. Stuff commercial shooters preach about all the time. It makes the camera a more universal and flexible tool. Not bad on an $1100 body. 


7 comments:

Eric said...

Glad you're coming around to the non-trivial uses of WiFi on a camera. Olympus Share is also handy when you need to drive your camera, but it's located somewhere inconvenient in order to get the shot (for instance, on the far end of a 10-ft painter's pole, a.k.a. a "poor man's drone").

atmtx said...

Kirk,

Good use of the Olympus Share app. I have to give it a try for remote shooting.

There is a way to set an initial delay on the High Res Shot. In the menu where you enable High Res Shot, click right (on the 4 way controller), turn the mode on and click right again and you get to select a range of delays. I have mine set at 2 seconds.

I've been playing with this high res 40MP mode too, for landscapes. Here are some photos that I created.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II: Exploring landscapes with 40 Megapixels

Andy

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Andy, after I read your comment I took another dive into the menu and found the delay setting. Works well. Thanks for sharing the fun pics.

Ira said...

Can you shoot tethered in hi-res mode?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I have no idea. Can someone else jump in and answer this one?

Anonymous said...

Kirk,

What about using a simple cable release instead. It's manual activation without touching the camera. Just my 0.02 cents...

Anonymous said...

Kirk, enjoyed the post. Just wanted to clarify one thing though. Olympus' Hi Res Shot is not a variation of Hasselblad's as you mention in your post. First Hasselblad got the idea from Astroimaging Telescope Technology. Hasselblad did not invent or even pioneer this tech. In regards to Olympus they did not get the concept from Astroimaging, they invented their own MultiShot Imaging within the Medical Imaging division of the company. From what I have been able to find out, they have had the tech longer than the world of Astronomy. This multishot tech they invented worked its way into the consumer camera division just like some of the optical tech does.

I work in the medical field as a diagnostic radiologist and am also an amateur photographer.

Just thought you may want to know.


Regards,

Connie