9.29.2014

Public Dogs.



I wouldn't think to take Studio Dog to a downtown event with tens of thousands of people. I don't think she'd like it and I think she might be overwhelmed by the stimuli. But apparently there are many people who love to bring their dogs with them anywhere they can. I get it. I love my dog, even more than any camera. But terriers seem to have minds of their own.

At any rate I was enchanted by some of the dogs I met as I walked through the downtown festival yesterday. I was just cruising with a Samsung NX30 camera and cheap 50-200mm Samsung zoom lens but it turned out to be the perfect combo for dog watching and (photographic) dog catching.

After watching the owners and their even tempered canine friends I decided that I need to take Studio Dog with me on my adventures more often. When the temperatures moderate I'll see how she likes the Sunday "route" through the downtown area. I wonder if someone makes a small camera bag for dogs?






8 comments:

Michael Ferron said...

Guess I was on the other side of the sidewalk! Was a fun festival. Saw a couple of good bands too!!

reidwolf said...

I tried this too in my downtown. But we ran into a snarly pit bull and my golden retriever has no concept of self-defense. Hope Austin doesn't have too many of those "he's won't bite" type dogs.

Jimmy Reina said...

My dog seems to have a cruel sense of humor.
Every time I put the camera up to my eye, she yanks the leash.

Anonymous said...

No child to bring, bring the substitute, the pooch.

Someone, somewhere must make a harness of sorts that would hold a lens or two that fits around the dog as a collar would.

Anonymous said...

"I wouldn't think to take Studio Dog to a downtown event with tens of thousands of people. I don't think she'd like it and I think she might be overwhelmed by the stimuli."

And kudos to you for that. Just look at the body language of the dogs in these photos. None of them are happy or pleased to be there. Quite the contrary.

Marko Oja said...

You could always strap a GoPro to Studio Dog: Street photographer's best friend

Fred said...

My dog is a rescue and walking her downtown provides socialization as long as there are not large crowds and I can keep her from getting overwhelmed. She enjoys it.
Street photography with a dog can be interesting. Two hands, one leash, one camera, one poop bag. Be careful what you bring up to your face when you see a picture. And I agree with Jimmy Reina above, the leash regularly gets pulled with perfect timing.

MikeR said...

Totally off-topic here, but on-topic re some of your legacy lens posts, I just wanted to call attention to a new Kickstarter project to resurrect Ferrania color film - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/filmferrania/100-more-years-of-analog-film