2.17.2014

Every portrait photographer has stuff they need to work on.

Gloria. NYC 2013. Samsung Camera.

I'm working in putting more "air" around my subjects. I guess we got into the habit of cropping tight back in the days of skimpy sensors with low pixel counts. We wanted to make every micron of space count. But these days I feel like some of my images from that time and some that were offshoots of a style that became habituated at the time feel claustrophobic to me now. A little more space might be a  good thing. Next I'll work on adding context and stuff in the background. That should be a seismic change....

One note on the series I've been playing with today: I was using the Samsung Galaxy NX camera at the time I took this image and since then I have more or less ended my active participation in their Imagelogger program but when I examine the images I can't help but admit that Samsung got their flesh tones and gradations on human skin down to a good science. The files are very pleasing to me. While the camera's EVF bothered me and the connected side of the camera slowed down the interfacing process the actual imaging----the thing we mostly used to use cameras for --- is pretty darn good. Just thought I'd toss some credit where it is due. 



4 comments:

sixblockseast said...

I'm still hoping Samsung will send you the new NX30. Same sensor as the NX300 but with built in (tilting!) EVF and other improvements. A decent replacement for my aging NX10.

wjl (Wolfgang Lonien) said...

How beautiful she is... and that's a good photo as well Kirk!

Anonymous said...

I second that.
If Samsung are eager to send you stuff to play with, ask them to send the new NX30, which seems to make way more sense than the ghastly Galaxy NX.

It would be genuinely interesting to see how that new model with the EVF tentacle works in both stills and video. It's supposed to have clean HDMI out and for the first time, a proper mic input. Looks almost promising on paper, but is it still the old mushy, jagged, pixel porridge, seasoned with aliasing and moire...

And how about the stills side, now that the Android tablet is out of the way, does it actually become a proper camera now?
So... how about it? ;-)

Paul van Geldrop said...

More air around your subject? Context and background? You already change your camera preference continuously. Next you'll sell all your 50mm or longer lenses and buy a 35mm :)
Guess it's all part of the creative muses pushing you on to something new to be made. I loved reading about your journey and I can't wait reading the next part.